Sunday, February 28, 2016

My Discipline

There were several things in this blog post that made me research things in my field that I would not normally have looked at. It gave me a new perspective of my field, and I am very excited.

Students in the Occupational Therapy field learn how to assist people with learning the daily skills of living. Many of the patients have disorders or are recovering from injuries where they lost mobility in any part of the body. Some of the daily living skills they teach their patients include brushing their teeth, eating, putting socks and shoes on, and other skills.

People can get undergraduate degrees in many different fields, and then focus on occupational therapy in graduate school. Oftentimes, students major in neuroscience, psychology, sociology, and many more. On the other hand, if a student wants to work with children or families, they cna major in Family and Consumer Sciences.

Last year over spring break, I got the chance to shadow the therapists at Phoenix Children's Hospital. I learned about Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy. I got the chance to see not only what the day-to-day life of these therapists, but also how the therapists have to approach their field differently when working with children. I loved it and would like to go back and volunteer.

Nancy Stanford Blair won American Occupational Therapy Association's Award for Excellence in the Advancement of Occupational Therapy. She has an extensive resume, including countless publications and several awards. In addition, University of Southern California has an outstanding Occupational Therapy program according to U.S. News and World Report. Lastly, Boston University also has a wonderful occupational therapy program.

Three leading journals in occupational therapy are OTJR, published by The American Occupational Therapy Foundation, AJOT, or the American Journal of Occupational Therapy, published by The American Occupational therapy Association, and OJOT, or The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy.

"OTJRJournal" 10-31-14 via twitter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment