Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Variety

Variety is essential in any piece of writing. While the look of the QRG can bring the reader in, a variety of sentence structure and vocabulary will keep their attention.

In my current draft, I think that I have good sentence variety. In reading through, I have more complex sentences than simple sentences. This is literally only because I don't like the sound of simple sentences in my head when I'm writing something. While I do use many different kinds of complex sentences, having a series of long complex sentences can make the reader tired of following along. This is something I will go back and pay attention to when I am revising my draft.

Right now, my QRG is structured so every paragraph has a subheading, and I don't think I like that very much. Having subheadings is my excuse to not have transitions, which is dumb. I need to look at the whole thing and see which sections are closely related enough to ditch a subheading. I want my QRG to look good from afar, that way people will actually want to read and learn about my controversy.

In looking through my verbs for an earlier post, I found that many of them were action verbs, especially in the second half of my QRG where I write about occupational therapists and what they do. I really like the variety I have in the second half, and would like to emulate it in the first half.  However, in the first half, I used quite a few linking verbs (and the same ones) to tell Henry's story. I also used a lot of the same pronouns to tell Henry's story, so I need to go back and reevaluate that section paying attention to those two things. Overall, a strength is my variety of action verbs when I use them, and my weakness is pronouns. Using too many can cause confusion for the audience, which is the opposite of what a QRG should do.

"Repetition and Variety" 9-20-12 via sorryaboutthatbud.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment