Saturday, April 2, 2016

Rhetorical Analysis of Project 3

For Project 3, I will be focusing on the controversy surrounding the casting of a Black Hermione in the stage production of the sequel of the Harry Potter series.

Author:
For this project, I will be drawing from my own knowledge of both the books and movies. I have read all of the books, and seen all of the movies. I basically grew up with this characters and this story. I will be drawing upon my experiences when I first read the books and my views on the whole situation. I will also be researching the history of race in entertainment as a social issue to see how long this has been a problem.

Audience
I will be making this for the other fans of this series, as well as anyone interested in the controversy surrounding the lack of diversity in the entertainment business. On one hand, this could mean that the fans of the series are upset with the casting, and prefer the traditional looking Hermione (like Emma Watson). On the other hand, people who are frustrated with Hollywood and the entertainment busines with the lack of diversity will be very supportive of this new casting.

Purpose/Message:
For Project 3, I want to use my own perspective of growing up with these movies and the impact the type of casting had on me, and how it would have been different if they had cast more racially diverse characters for the movies. Would this casting still be a big deal? Would the movies have impacted me differently? I am hoping that doing this will shed some light on why this the lack of diversity is such a problem, and how it is affecting viewers.

Context:
I will be writing a standard college essay for this project. This genre is generally understood by people with a high school degree and higher education. I have a lot of experience with this genre, because many of my other classes have required writing multiple essays. I am very comfortable with this genre, and I think that will benefit me in the process of creating it. The two most effective conventions are organization and
I am painfully uninformed about the history regarding the lack of diversity in Hollywood, so I will be doing research on that, including statistics on movies directed and produced by culturally diverse people, as well as those being cast. Many people are talking about this, including The Guardian, Vanity Fair, Independent, and People.
I think the counter arguments I will have to respond to include evidence from the books that J.K. Rowling never intended for a black Hermione, and that she was always meant to be an pale white 12 year old.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Missy, so here I am doing a quick little peer review for you regarding the brainstorming aspect of your rhetorical analysis. So one part I might suggest editing is your context. Your counterarguments kind of tie into the same idea, so you may want to consider some off the wall counterarguments. Maybe how this could affect the setting of Harry Potter, or something else that is from a different area rather than the upset Harry Potter traditionalists. I think acknowledging another strong counterargument in your essay can improve the evidence you show in your paper. This is the main thing I saw in your rhetorical analysis, and I hope my feedback helps!

    ReplyDelete