Friday, January 29, 2016

Reddit and What I Found There

For me, I found Reddit to be much more useful than Twitter. On Twitter I found a lot of links to other studies and articles, on Reddit I found more of a conversation between people in my field about different experiences regarding the day to day perspective, as well as tips for getting into graduate school.

Based on the Occupational Therapy page on Reddit, it seems like a lot of people are discussing what kids of things to do in order to get into OT school. For example, there is a whole page just giving advice on how to get into OT school. Along those lines, many threads were about how to build up resumes, where to get shadowing and volunteer hours, and what kinds of classes to take in your undergrad. There was also a post about what kind of qualities an OT should have, which I found very interesting.

One interesting debate I read about had to do with why there weren't that many male Occupational Therapists compared to female. I never realized there was such a large difference, and I was curious as to why, and how male OTs felt in such a female dominated field. The second thread I found interesting was discussing whether Physical Therapists or Occupational Therapists made more money. Some of the replies provided links to websites where the person could do their own research. On the other hand, most of the replies insisted that choosing a field should absolutely not be based on salary. While I agree with this notion, I was still curious. So upon further researching, I found that the two professions make about the same amount, with OT at $78,810 per year and PT at $82,390 per year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

I get the impression that getting into this field is very difficult and time consuming, but worth it in the end. Because many incoming OT graduate students are looking to add to their resume, I got kind of an idea of what my life will be like for the next couple of years. I expected to find more controversy than I did; however, this field is still growing, so I think that there will be more controversy as the field grows.

AOTA, "What is OT" via AOTA


No comments:

Post a Comment